Re: changes file format

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk said:
> > Are you saying it looks anywhere near as nice as mine ?
>
> Well, I think it looks awful, but I will accept your format simply
> to end this argument if you or someone else
> will write and maintain the parser for it and
> an automated tool to generate it.

Please add "and document" to this.  If tools are introduced into
the distribution, the author and maintainer of those tools should
provide and maintain man pages for them.

> I don't see how you could seriously propose a context-dependent parse, but
> I'm sick of the argument.

Me too.

I also reiterate my suggestion that we stop the practice
of maintainers announcing directly (and prematurely)
to debian-changes, and have the maintainer announcements
uploaded to debian.org along with the other package files,
machine-parsed there, and machine-produced announcements
in whatever announcement format is deemed appropriate
incorporating information from the machine-parsed maintainer
uploads made from debian.org once the packages being
announced are actually available as part of the distribution.