Re: splitted packages on ftp server?

Erick Branderhorst writes ("splitted packages on ftp server?"):
> Create a directory where splitted packages are stored. I can't download
> packages easily which are bigger than 1.44 MB because I can't run dpkg-split
> on the unix machine which I use for downloading. Dpkg-split doesn't seem
> to run in dos environment either. So here is my suggestion.

The correct solution to this problem, IMO, is to have all the .deb
files be pre-split on the FTP site, using dpkg-split.

dpkg has been able automatically to reassemble split packages since
0.93.74, which was released on the 11th of September.

The only dpkg feature that needs to be implemented before we split all
the packages on the FTP site is to have something go through and
delete leftover parts of split packages, whose other parts were never
presented to dpkg.

Ian.