Re: symbolic links within /bin

On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Noone in their right mind changes root's shell.  Creating an
> alternative root account with a different login name and tcsh as a
> shell would be the right thing to do.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that both bash and tcsh would be
available at all times.  If that was the case, it would not matter if
root shell was changed.

Why don't I want to change root's shell?  Are there security reasons?
(This discussion might be valuable on debian-user.)  Or is it just that
currently no other shell lives in /bin?  I guess I need to read my
'System Administrator's' book a little more.

> Who put the rmail, rnews and smail links in /bin ?  They're not part
> of the Smail package.
>
> Could you try
>  dpkg --search /bin/rmail

Did that, and there was nothing found.  I assume that this means these
were put there by me installing some other program.  Maybe the manual
installation of UUCP (non-debian) did this.  I don't know.  I will try
removing them.  I now have the debianize UUCP.  rnews may have come from
an INN installation.

Thanks for setting me straight,
Kenny Wickstrom           | gnu - a new generation in s/w devel/support
kenny@kennet.com          | Linux - a much improved Un*x clone
(708)740-4008             | Debian - a Linux distribution setting the
#include <std-disclaimer> |    standard for future distributions