Re: symbolic links within /bin

Kenny Wickstrom writes ("symbolic links within /bin"):
> I was just looking around in /bin and noticed some symbolic links that
> may be incorrect.  My system is 0.93R5+++ (I update the base regularly).
> The links I wonder about are
>         csh -> ../usr/bin/tcsh
>         rmail -> /usr/sbin/rmail
>         rnews -> /usr/sbin/rnews
>         smail -> /usr/sbin/smail
>
> tcsh (6.05-4) seems the most serious since if someone choses to use tcsh
> for root, it may not be available when the system is running.

Noone in their right mind changes root's shell.  Creating an
alternative root account with a different login name and tcsh as a
shell would be the right thing to do.

Perhaps chsh should warn people not to change root's shell ?

> The others just seem a little odd.  The FSSTND says things in /bin are
> essential to have the system running and I don't think rmail, smail and
> especially rnews falls into that category.  Maybe its for traditional
> reasons, but I would think we would try to straighten it out.

Who put the rmail, rnews and smail links in /bin ?  They're not part
of the Smail package.

Could you try
 dpkg --search /bin/rmail
?