Re: Very weird stuff on ftp.debian.org

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Hmm.  Unfortunately I'm trying to use rcp, which doesn't seem to be
> able to cope.

[..]

> I suppose that taking the machine down to fix the underlying fs is
> probably not advisable.

Give your cron a shot again, Ian.  I had to fix a few things and hope
everything else is also fixed as result..(fingers crossed:)) From what I
can tell, I see no problems.  I tried an rsh from a remote site
and was able to get through no problem but have not had a chance to try
an rcp from remote. I would think it "should" work but that was "should"..:)

> Also, the /debian.org directory (rather than the mountpoint) ought not
> to be world-writeable, really ...

That was a temp. test to see if that would fix things but didn't change a
thing so it has already been changed.  Right now I have it set with world
read and execute and no_write.

> PS: re the tarring and/or gzipping of the whole archive: can you not
> disable .tar.gz without disabling plain .tar (the latter is quite an
> efficient way to do things if you really want the whole archive) ?

Having the .tar.gz option was thought of as a way that we can provide
people that don't already have gzip to retreive a tar.gz as a .tar file
instead.  Running a virtual ftp server as ours is means that no longer
does ftp use the gzip found in ftp/bin, but the system level gzip.
Personally I don't really want to live without gzip on the system level. :)

As we are running a virtual ftp server removing just gzip would
mean that the system level gzip program would have to be removed.  Going
virtual means that no longer does ftp just execute gzip from the ftp/bin
directory but the real system level gzip.

David

David Brinks - Assist Sys Admin.   brinks@cps.cmich.edu
422 Pearce Hall                    Mail maintainer of:  archive, ftpadmin
Computer Science Department           www, and sometimes other accounts
Central Michigan University           used for admin purposes.
---All opinions, and possibly some of the facts, are strictly of my own.----