Re: perlconfig in postinst: opinion please...

iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk said:
> Why will ncurses-runtime have to move to the base ?

> There's about 1.7Mb in /usr/lib/ncurses that is not required on most
> systems.

> Can we not distribute a minimal termcap/terminfo/whatever that can do
> the Linux console, vt100 and dumb the base system and have
> ncurses-runtime handle only more esoteric terminals ?

When we go to ELF, we'll be replacing curses with ncurses. No more
/etc/termcap from then on. To solve the space problem we will split ncurses-*
into yet a
third package containing configuration entries for the more rare terminals,
while the more common ones would remain in ncurses-runtime. It will help to
have
ncurses in a shared library, as well. We probably don't have to do anything
about this until the ELF conversion.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
-- Attention Radio Amateurs: For information on "Linux for Hams",
-- read the WWW page http://www.hams.com/LinuxForHams,