configuring getty for modem connections

Hi,  I'm trying to get ppp working as a server.  I followed the
advice of the ppp documentation and tried to set up a getty to
allow dialup logins but I can't even get that far.

I have a 486 DX66, 16550A UART on ttyS1.  I'm using 0.93R5.  I have
read many times the NAG, Serial HOWTO & PPP HOWTO.  The serial HOWTO
says to put 'stty crtscts < /dev/ttyS1 in a startup file like
/etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/rc.serial.  I didn't see any files
like these so I put it in /etc/init.d/boot.

I also added /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 spd_hi to /etc/init.d/boot.

The serial HOWTO talks about uugetty but I only have agetty.  The
manual says to put a line in your inittab file like this:
S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1 -mt60 38400,14400,9600 vt100

I did and I get "ID S1 respawning too fast:  disabled for 5 minutes"
The serial HOWTO says when this happens to check the E & Q registers
of the modem.  I set them to what the serial HOWTO said:

E1 command echo ON
Q0 result codes are reported
V1 verbose ON
S0 = 0 This is for uugetty using the WAITFOR option.  I have agetty
so I set S0 = 1
&C1 DCD is on after connect only
&S0 DSR is always on
&D3 DTR on/off resets modem

If I could get to where I could provide a login prompt for dial in
connections I don't think I'd be too far from getting ppp to work.

Could someone with some experience in these areas please send me
some mail.  I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Brian Hutchinson
hutch@ena-east.ericsson.se