Re: where do locally installed app-defaults go?

Ian,

I first asked about this back in June.  Then you recently brought it
up again.  Has this question been resolved?

On Fri, 4 Aug 95 09:27 EST, Ian Murdock <imurdock@debian.org> said:

> Does the X Window System have a standard means of differentiating
> between distribution and local software?  (From my limited
> experience, I would say it does not, but I am no expert.)  If it
> does not, it should.  Are there any suggestions as to how we could
> add support for this?  (/usr/local/X11R6, perhaps?  Or binaries
> could be installed to /usr/local/bin, app-defaults could go to
> /usr/local/lib/app-defaults, etc.)

You could add an alternative config directory (call it
/usr/X11R6/lib/config-local), put modified imake templates there, and
inform users of its existence.  I like the idea of using
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, ...  I'm not sure how to tell X to
look for app-defaults files in more than one directory, though.

--Mike