Re: Opinion...

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> mbailey@cps.cmich.edu said:
> >  I can turn off downloads from the Incoming directory.
>
> I'd prefer you didn't. While I was bitten by this once (I download dpkg while
> it was still being uploaded), I think it makes the distribute-test-submit-bugs
> loop take a bit less time.
>
> I can think of a way to hack wu-ftpd to fix this, which perhaps should be
> suggested to the wu-ftpd maintainers. While files are being uploaded, they
> should have the name .upl.<real-name> . The FTP daemon should rename them when
> the upload is complete. When the system reboots, it can scan for .upl.* and
> remove the ones it finds, as these would all be incomplete uploads.
>
> Another possibility would be for uploaders to perform the above algorithm by
> hand. This is difficult in the case of uploads that may take hours to complete.

OK better yet then...

why don't we have them upload the .upl. on the front of files. And I can
have perl check to see wether or not they are finished with the upload by
asking the ftpd daemon. Then remove that when it is done.

OR

Have the maintain upload a .md5 file that contains the md5 as the
absolute LAST file thus people know that the file is a completed upload
BUT still have the hourly move into another directory that are compared
against the announcement that way they know two things. one the file is
completed and two it has been aproved for use by the maintainer through
the anouncement to debian-changes.....

Matt