Re: Bug reporting script

On Sun, 13 Aug 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Compressing it wouldn't work because that would make the dpkg
> databases unreliable.  Bill Mitchell: please do not contradict me, I
> don't want to have a discussion about this.

OK, I won't contradict you.

I'm not sure where this came from.  I did mention in passing recently
that the .list files were stored uncompressed, but didn't suggest
compressing them.  I don't seem to have retained a copy of the posting
to which I was responding but, as I recall, some expression of concern
there over file size increases which adding of permissions info
suggested there would bring about prompted my in-passing mention of
compression.  I've not looked at dpkg internals and don't know what
might make it unreliable.

>[...]
> Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: Bug reporting script"):
> > Predictibly, I suggest [...]
>
> No.  I don't have the time to explain the flaws in your suggestion.
> If you made fewer suggestions (and better ones!) I might find time to
> answer them more fully ...

Uncalled for.  If you find my suggestions  unpalatable or unacceptable,
either ignore them or respond on technical grounds.  Don't take cheap
shots.