Re: Colour ls

Raul Miller writes:
>One big problem with color ls is that it inserts strange characters
>into the output stream that could confuse various programs.  [I dunno
>off hand -- emacs dired might cope or might not, but how about systems
>using expect or pty?]

When I last used a system with colour ls, I found problems of this
kind.  However there were command line options which could the colours
off, and writing a wrapper which did the right thing in all cases was
pretty trivial.  Of course the program should really do it itself, but
my point is that this is not a real problem.

I also found that colour ls could do mildly nasty things to the MSDOS
version of NCSA telnet; but this may have been a bug in the telnet
client's terminal emulator rather than ls.

>Given that constraint, I don't think it's a good idea to overload the
>name 'ls' for this purpose.  Some other name (e.g. 'dir') would
[...]

/bin/dir already appears in fileutils.  IRMFI

--
Richard Kettlewell
<richard@elmail.co.uk>                   http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/