Re: Conflict/dependency granularity

Richard Kettlewell <richard@elmail.co.uk>

> The FSSTND says, among other things:
>
>   Locally installed software should be placed within /usr/local rather
>   than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade
>   software in /usr.

It's be splitting semantic hairs, but the argument could be made that
the operator might become dissatisfied with a debian-provided binary
for some reason or another and decide to replace it with locally-installed
software.  This would seem to be permissable under the passage quoted
above.  We'd silently overwrite his locally-installed software at the
next upgrade of the package containing the files he'd replaced.

As someone else said -- gotta draw the line somewhere.  We just need to
decide where to draw the line, draw it, and let interested parties know
where the line is.