Re: New ELF packages available

David Engel writes ("Re: New ELF packages available"):
> I don't understand your objection.  The kernel already does this for
> a.out binaries and libraries and the ELF dynamic linker.  How else do
> you propose to prevent binaries/libraries which are in use from being
> opened for writing?

Why is it necessary to prevent that ?

What is stopping me from mapping utmp (for example) with
MAP_DENYWRITE ?

... nothing, I just tried it, and getty, login &c didn't leave a
record of me in utmp.

OK, this is going to linux-kernel and linux-alert.

I find it quite astonishing that noone thought about denial of service
when they added this feature !

Ian.