conf-file recovery after manual removal of a package

This is a user-friendliness issue: Say I manually remove a package's
conf-files, for some ill-considered reason. I then try to recover by
re-installing the package. Dpkg sees that I have removed the conf
files, sees that the package maintainer has not edited them since my
last install, and silently doesn't install them. The package doesn't
work.

Perhaps it should not be silent about this case?

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
-- Attention Ham Radio Operators: For information on "Linux for Hams", read
-- the World Wide Web page http://www.hams.com/perens/LinuxForHams, or send