new X11R6 packages
There are going to be new X11R6 packages in a few days. There are
a few changes in them of which developers should be aware. Please
* All *R5 packages are being removed from the distribution, as we no
longer have X11R5 packages.
* All *R6 packages SHOULD BE RENAMED **WITHOUT** THE "R6" EXTENSION.
For example, "tgifR6" should become "tgif", "xxgdbR6" should become
"xxgdb", etc. Future packages should not have an "R<n>" extension.
* The "xbaseR6" and "xr5shlib" dummy packages have been removed now
that dpkg supports virtual packages. This requires, of course, the
use of dpkg 0.93.50 or later. (dpkg will be BETA later this week, and
Ian J. appears to have no objections to including it with the official
0.93R6, so I think it is reasonable to remove the dummy packages).
* Rather than depending on "xbaseR5 | xr5shlib" or "xbaseR6 | xr6shlib",
as older Debian packages have done when they required a certain version
of the X Window System, packages should depend on "X11R5", "X11R6", etc.
The older scheme will still be supported for a few more months.
* The XpmR6, Xpm_compR6 and Xpm_develR6 packages have been merged into
a single package called "xpm". "xpm" will provide "xpmR6", but
all new packages needing XPM should depend on "xpm", not "xpmR6".
(They should also depend on "X11R6"--see above.)
* "xbase" has been separated into two packages: "xbase" (for minimal
parts of X11R6) and "xstd" (for standard parts of X11R6).
* A week or so ago, someone made the suggestion that we separate the
X11R6 shared libraries from the xbase package. This would allow us,
perhaps, to remove the -nox and -x versions of packages and replace
them with a single version of the package which is linked to these
shared libraries (and which depends on the package containing them).
The size of this extra package is slightly under 500K, and the
libraries themselves are slightly over 1100K:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 529412 Jul 31 13:35 libX11.so.6.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 58372 Jul 31 13:35 libXIE.so.6.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 209924 Jul 31 13:35 libXaw.so.6.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 320516 Jul 31 13:35 libXt.so.6.0
Should this separation be made? Is this a reasonable requirement in
order to allow us to have one version of a package rather than two?