Re: readline shared library

On Fri, 18 Mar 1994, Charlie Brady wrote:

> > Hmm.. I think that the bash should not use the readline shared library. If
> > you unintentionally remove the readline library the shell won't run.

> And that's when you get out the rescue disk, isn't it?

Ok, that's a possibility. But I think that the shell should not use shared
libraries at all (also a few essential binaries like mv, cp, shutdown,
etc. shouldn't use them). The only exception could be the libc-library since
all programs use it.

What I wanted to say is:
- if the libc-library is missing  ==>  nothing works, get the rescue disk
- if the readline-library is missing ==>  only a few programs won't work, but
                                          the system will work (incl. bash)

If you use the bash with the readline shared library a missing readline-library
means that the whole system won't work. Essential programs (like bash, etc.)
should rely on as few libraries as possible. Non essential programs (like
ftp, gdb etc.) can use any shared library they want.

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@server.et-inf.fho-emden.de