user-private GIDs argument

Matthew Birkholz <birkholz@martigny.ai.mit.edu> wrote:
> If you really want to call time on the argument, I'd suggest making an
> example of yourself.  Calling time on an argument and then slipping in a
> couple extra jabs seems rather hypocritical.

I proposed that you make a demonstration and show us some satisfied users
as a means of arriving at a consensus when you were obviously not going
to get a priori acceptance of your proposal. "Show me" is not an attack
on your ideas. There are enough demonstrations of the status quo. Show
us a concrete system that's better and some users who like it.

> Telling us that the default should be _your_ favorite because the rest
> of us can just go write a script isn't exactly an argument.

Note that I have still not said what my favorite is. Did you think that
I'd have the chutzpah to take a side in the same message where I called
time on the argument? I only proposed that you make a demonstration.

> Fine.  I don't care. The unwashed masses can remain unwashed. Debian will
> not be the first broken Unix system with which I've had to deal.

Don't give up so easily. Do the work necessary to convince us.

	Bruce Perens