Re: user private groups and a src group

Wayne Schlitt <backbone!wayne@tower.tssi.com> writes:

>> What happens when some user that doesn't know better chowns /sbin
>> root.root?

Sorry, I had meant to say a file in /sbin root.root with the same
permissions as /sbin.  Some people are that clueless.  My minor point
centers on the principle of least surprise -- BSD semantics could
clean that up, I suppose.

> Well, then whenever root creates a file in /sbin, the file will be
> in group root.  I don't see any problem with that.

I really do think there must be a better (read: low level) way to go
about this than storing every user in /etc/group.  I mean I like the
idea and if Debian implemented it as Ian Jackson describes, I would be
happy.  However, we are talking about a change away from the Linux
norm that is *also* an ugly kludge -- even if it is a good thing, I
worry about scaring people away from Debian.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>