Re: Aliases for root & /sbin permissions

    Daniel>   1. *Not* aliasing rm is standard on *all* UNIX systems

Yes, I agree, but not being standard does not mean it is good.  The
only point I can conceded with this is in relation to your 3rd
statement.  If people feel this strongly, fine.  I was of the opinion
that defaulting to a safer behavior was the better course.

    Daniel>   2. No UNIX System Administration Guide on this Earth
    Daniel> advocates doing such a thing.

I don't think this is true, but I don't have the book with me...

    Daniel>   3. Consistent behavior across all UNIX systems.  The
    Daniel> single day that you do "rm *" (as the same dumb asses you
    Daniel> think you are protecting WILL do) is the same day you find
    Daniel> out Sun or HP or DEC or whatever doesn't have your nice
    Daniel> little friendly alias.

Ok, this I agree with.  It *is* a bad idea to set a standard that
newbies will not realize is local to that system I guess.

    Daniel> This isn't for experts, but for the people who don't know
    Daniel> any better.  Proper system administration and learning how
    Daniel> to manage a UNIX system is not done by aliasing "rm" or
    Daniel> any crap like that.  Sorry, but this aliasing is a silly
    Daniel> idea.

Geez, what did I write to get these words?  I clearly stated that my
post was just preference on my side, AND I try and maintain a calm,
polite tone.  Proper system administrators also make mistakes
sometimes. If you read the USENET posts you see that many Linux users
have no clue about most of the aspects of UNIX (many ask about unrm
commands and whether or not there is some way to make rm ask before
executing).  But I don't want to argue, and will gladly conceded
that if people want rm aliased, they should do it themselves.

Jim