More bugs in 0.91 ...

(Should I keep posting these here, or report them to debian-bugs ?)

* In inetd.conf, `time' is a service internal to inetd.  Well, it is
in the version of inetd on my old installation - I haven't actually
checked in Debian.

* mt and vi are in /usr/bin, but should be in /bin.  (Yes, I know how
to use `ed', I'd just rather not, and I'm sure most people would agree
with me.)

* MAKEDEV doesn't work if you ask it to make cuann devices - you have
to ask for ttySnn, which gives you the cuann devices as well.
However, it tries to chown them to `root:dialout', and there isn't a
`dialout' group.  This tickles a bug in `chown', which reports that
`root' is an invalid group, when it should be complaining about
`dialout'.

* There should be provision for installing a non-US Xmodmap file.
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc has provision for using one, but it looks for
it in /usr/X386/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap (this is bad - see below).

xdm isn't even configured to look for an Xsetup file - there should be
a line
 DisplayManager._0.setup:        /usr/X386/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
in xdm-config, and then Xsetup_0 should contain the hook to load the
system Xmodmap file.  This has to be done at this point so that users
with special characters in their passwords will be able to type them.

The system Xmodmap file should be /etc/X11/Xmodmap (not in ../xdm or
./xinit, since it should be the same for both, and no leading '.' -
cf /etc/profile.)

* xdm puts its cookie file in /usr/X386/lib/X11/xdm instead of
/var/X11/xdm.  This can be configured by setting
 DisplayManager.authDir:	/var/X11/xdm
in xdm-config (and of course the directory should be created).

Ian.