Re: Updating Minetest to 5.5

Thank you for the feedback everyone. This is my first "official"
packaging effort so it's very welcome and appreciated.

> So if it enters Debian, ensure you get the minetest irrlicht fork
> recorded in the Debian security team code copies file.

Will do.

> It might be worth attempting to build minetest against upstream
> irrlicht just to see how much breakage there is.

I suspect that it will not compile given that they have now listed their
custom fork as an explicit dependency [1].

> * Is any other package in Debian likely to depend on Minetest's fork
>   of irrlicht?

I doubt this and probably wouldn't want to encourage it?

> * Does Minetest's fork of irrlicht have a stable API?

I don't believe so. The fork is only intended to be consumed by the
Minetest client and they have been breaking from the upstream Irrlicht
API.

> The yquake2 source package is an example of combining multiple upstream
> tarballs, if you need one

Thank you, I'll need to take a look at that. I'm still learning how dh
and friends work.

It sounds like the consensus is to embed the custom fork into
src:minetest using the multiple upstream tarball feature of quilt and
statically compile it into the Minetest client. I may as well retire the
custom repack.sh script and migrate the embedding of Minetest Game to
that method as well while I'm at it.

Travis

[1] https://github.com/minetest/minetest#dependencies