Re: UQM (The Ur-Quan Masters) needs help? (bug #999132)

Hi Matija,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 21:52:21 +0100, Matija Nalis
<mnalis-debiangames@l.voyager.hr> wrote:
> I've noted that package "uqm" ("The Ur-Quan Masters" game from Debian
> contrib) is about to be removed from testing due to
>
> I would like to help so it stays in testing (and make it to new stable).
>
> I'm not a DD/DM, but have prepared another game to Debian before (ironseed)
> with a help from the sponsor.
> The specific issues in #999132 seems to me relatively simple to fix.
>
> What would be the best way to proceed?
> I've offered help in that bug, but so far (several weeks) no response.
>
> The maintainer seems to OK with LowNMU threshold according to
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/uqm, so would someone willing to do
> NMU if I (or someone else, of course) do the packaging/testing work,
> it that is the best way to proceed short term? Or something else?

I’ve NMUed this package a few times in the past, I’d be willing to review and
sponsor a fix for #999132. Your proposed switch to dh seems sensible to me.
If you prepare an update, ping me and I’ll review it!

> Note: in the longer term, I'd like to offer more help for that specific game
> (sentimental reasons), like fixing some lintian warnings and updating to
> newer release. That have been attempted about a decade ago (with patches),
> but haven't got a reponse from maintainer (#640881).
>
> What would be a respectful way to proceed there; could Debian Games Team
> offer support? I would be willing to put work in to help move this forward.

Ideally, yes, the game would end up maintained by the DGT; but the respectful
way to do that is to get Dmitry’s agreement. The next option is the salvaging
process; see
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#package-salvaging
for details. Salvaging isn’t necessarily adversarial, see
https://bugs.debian.org/975013 for example (I “salvaged” a package by
becoming its co-maintainer).

Regards,

Stephen