Re: Sample Godot game packaging

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 02:01:29PM +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the thread at [1] I noticed we don't have a sample Godot package
> for new contributors to copy^Wstudy from. I went ahead and wrote an initial
> package for Godot's tutorial game "Dodge the Creeps!":
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/dodge-the-creeps
>
> It takes the source repository and generates an arch-independent Debian
> package with a .pck file for godot3-runner, as well as system menu and
> software center entries. It took longer than I thought, so I expect this
> will come in handy :)
>
> I want this to be a collegial effort, so please test, review and write
> suggestions. This is about newcomer-friendly packaging -- let's aim at
> simplicity and keep pet peeves [2] under control ;)
>
> Cheers!
> Sylvain
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2021/02/msg00004.html
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_pet_peeve_wars

Thanks for doing this!

Hm, if it looks like there may be many (as in more than three) Godot
games packaged for the Debian archive, and if they will always require
the same command(s) to be executed, the same files to be installed, and
the same directories to be cleaned, maybe it would make sense to create
a debhelper add-on for that? Maybe even a "godot" debhelper buildsystem
definition that would:
a) at build time: run the export command
b) at install time: create the necessary directories, install the *.pck
   file and possibly the icon
c) at clean-up time: remove the *.pck file created at build time and
   the import directory

I could try to take a look at this sometime soon, although I may not
be able to do it today or tomorrow.

(and yes, I know that your rules file does not work exactly in that way,
 and please don't consider my message an objection, although it does
 seem to me that the "build" phase should be separate from the "install"
 phase as a matter of principle; still, I do realize that sometimes
 simpler is better, so, sure, your package looks fine for its
 intended goal)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13