Re: Updating ogre to 1.12.3

Hi Simon,

Am 09.11.19 um 21:02 schrieb Simon Schmeisser:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to Debian development so please excuse me if this is the wrong
> place to ask. We use rviz at work which uses ogre as its rendering
> engine. I would like to update the Debian (and Ubuntu) package to the
> current upstream release (from 1.9.0 to 1.12.3).

You are at the right place. Thank you for updating Ogre.

> I uploaded a modified
> package to mentors.debian.org but did not get any feedback. The current
> maintainer responded to direct mail that he is too busy to continue
> working on this package.
>
> Could anybody guide me as to what the next steps would be?

I just had a look at your package. The first impression was positive and
I think you only need some small changes for ogre-1.12 before we can
upload it.

1. Please merge the changelog entries since the last official upload to
Debian.

2. debian/control: Remove libogre-1.12.1v1-dbg because this one is
obsolete and probably a search and replace error.

3. debian/control: You can replace debhelper (>= 12~) with
debhelper-compat (= 12) and remove debian/compat.

4. debian/control: The build-dependency on dpkg-dev (>= 1.16.1~)
shouldn't be necessary anymore.

5. debian/rules: You can remove --dbgsym-migration='libogre-1.12-dbg (<<
1.12.2+dfsg0-1~)' because the migration to dbgsym packages has been
successful. Ogre-1.9 doesn't provide -dbg packages anymore.

There are a lot of libogre-1.12.2v1* files. I don't think they are
really needed because you also use libogre-1.12* files. The v1 version
or v5 suffix in ogre-1.9 was only necessary to rebuild ogre against a
newer gcc version back then.

Please add yourself to Uploaders in debian/control. You can find more
suggestions for improvements at

https://mentors.debian.net/package/ogre-1.12

Most of them are minor but also easy to fix. The only think you don't
need to fix is testsuite-autopkgtest-missing because we don't have a
general solution for games packages yet.

I still need to check the copyright file but there is already a warning
about missing-license-text-in-dep5-copyright. This is probably just a
syntax error in debian/copyright because there is a Comment section
before the actual license text, so just move the license text before the
Comment, then it should be ok.

Please request Debian Games membership at
https://salsa.debian.org/games-team, then I can grant you access to our
Git repository and you can just upload your work to Git.

So far

Cheers,

Markus