Re: could debian-devel-games take ownership of angband ?

at  bottom :-

On 25/08/2018, Markus Koschany <apo@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 24.08.2018 um 21:52 schrieb shirish शिरीष:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Angband upstream has been quite active but  for some reason the
>> downstream maintainer has been not  :(
>>
>> See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=799358#15 and
>> there has been no answer.
>>
>> It  would be nice if we can have the new package under the
>> debian-games-team banner. While I don't know any programming per-se,
>> am completely willing to test out  any test-builds of a new angband
>> package to see and report if it  fails somewhere.
>>
>> Look forward to know more.
>
> I agree with Tobi. Angband is a candidate for the salvaging process.
> You or someone else could also update the package and ask for
> sponsorship. Make your intention clear in a bug report and then just NMU
> the package.
>
> Regards,
>
> Markus

Dear Markus,

I do not have any programming chops. I could not  get  it  to compile
and found out on the forums from one of Debian stretch users that
because gcc use pie (for ASLR) and then saw this stackoverflow
conversation which explained what it is all about.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2463150/what-is-the-fpie-option-for-position-independent-executables-in-gcc-and-ld

My motivations are and were somewhat  different. I was looking at
games which have been ported to libsdl2 but in Debian repo. are still
using sdl1.2 here. One of those packages turned out to be angband.  I
did hear some whisperings of it being moved to SDL2 but as I can't
get  it  to compile cleanly can't  do much about  it .

But  as shared am ready to test  if anybody can make a debian package
out  of it which fulfills Debian policy :)

there are few people who still play it

https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=angband

and if somebody does package and RFS, could talk about the package in
itsfoss.com . There are people who still like both ASCII rogue-likes
and other low-poly pixel art  graphic resolution games :)

          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com