packaging Proton[1] for Debian. I wanted to know if you were interested
in getting involved, of if you had already spent some time evaluating it?

I am also interested in getting DXVK in Debian. That would be the first
step since Proton depends on it.

If we can't get Proton in Debian, DXVK + Wine is also a great step
forward for folks that play video games on Debian.

Lutris already ships some scripts that use Wine and DXVK (without
Proton) to play games and they are getting great results.

On 2018-10-14 8:49 p.m., Paul Wise wrote:
> [woops, sent before completing the mail]
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:47 AM Paul Wise wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:00 AM Alexandre Viau wrote:
>>> Has anyone looked into it yet? Do we know if it would be maintainable in
>>> main?
>>
>> I'm not sure it is a good idea
> ... to package something that requires a fork of Wine.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Proton to work without the wine fork,
compromising on some of the features.

> It also seems to build-depend on a docker container, that would need
> to be replaced with proper build dependencies.

It dosen't really need that docker container. They involve Docker in
their build system to ensure that the builds are done the right versions
of the right libraries, and they also include proprietary steam runtime
libraries that are not needed for a vanilla Proton build.

Quoting the Proton README[1]:
> You can skip the Docker and Steam Runtime setup steps below, as they
> take a very long time to set up. At configure-time, pass the --no-
> steam-runtime flag instead of the Docker flags shown here.

[1] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton
[2] https://github.com/ValveSoftware/dxvk

Cheers,

--