Re: renaming debiangames-team to games-team on salsa, objections?

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 12:50:43PM +0100, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Am 11.01.2018 um 01:04 schrieb Miriam Ruiz:
> >> I would personally prefer games-team, and if nobody is made furiously
> >> angry by that name, I'm happy to rename it.
> >
> > I agree with you.

Please do rename it, sooner rather than later. Makes sense while salsa's
still in beta for conventions still to be established.

> I haven't had the time to dig into Salsa yet. I thought it would be as
> simple as:
>
> - Import all existing Git repositories into salsa.
>   (Convert SVN directories to Git as needed later)

Yes, any team DD could use the script Drew linked to earlier:
http://www.df7cb.de/blog/2017/Salsa_batch_import.html

> - Everyone who wants to do some maintaining shall apply for team
>   membership

That's how I joined the Salsa team, a team Owner will approve it.

> - DDs and DMs can work on all repositories and create new ones

This is the bit that's shown up minor friction. Permission reference:
https://salsa.debian.org/help/user/permissions.md#group-members-permissions

As requested by Boris, Carlos set all DDs to Master and a few backup
team members to Owner. DMs and other maintainers have Developer
permission which in practice is sufficient for every day usage.

Repository creation within the team namespace therefore requires
sign-off by a DD, which I think is fine once the batch import is done.
It looks like repositories can even be transferred later, so could be
initially created in the Debian or user's namespace if needed.

> - Everyone else gets limited access depending on their personal
>   preferences and needs. So if you are maintaining one package at the
>   moment, it should be sufficient to grant access just for that.

Sufficient, yes, but I would recommend keeping the broader permissions
to encourage drive-by contributions between team members.
--
Phil Morrell (emorrp1)