Re: New, fully-maintained port of Colossal Cave Adventure

On 3 June 2017 at 18:23, Markus Koschany <apo@debian.org> wrote:
> Am 03.06.2017 um 19:00 schrieb Eric S. Raymond:
>> Is there a *BSD* BSD Games maintainer upstream of the Debian packaging?
>
> Unfortunately our bsdgames source package is severely outdated. AFAIK
> the folks from netbsd.org are the actual maintainers of bsdgames but
> perhaps someone else on the list can clarify this information.

Hi Markus,

I remember looking into the maintainability of the bsdgames package
after your [helpful support] last year, but gave up without writing
down my research. Unfortunately it's ideally not as simple as just
updating from the barely changed [NetBSD] sources, so Debian really
could do with a new standalone "upstream" to manage the relevant
contributions.

In general I found [OpenBSD] to have more recent commits than NetBSD,
though mostly tidying with not much deviation. I would argue that
**FreeBSD** code is the best maintained e.g. [morse] supports
/dev/speaker and many more characters which fixes [234107]. The main
downsides being that they [unbundled /src/games] and, relevant to this
thread, a vastly [reduced collection] from v5, dropping adventure.

The current [README] does list the subset of games used for DFSG,
though that git packaging only concerns itself with recent history,
post-[joeyh]. That's all I can remember/dredge up, so I hope this
helps anyone coming later to pick it up.
--
Phil Morrell

[helpful support]:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2016/02/msg00010.html