Re: would somebody be interested in updating liballegro from 5.0 to 5.2 ?

Hi,

On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 16:03 +0000, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I had previously asked if somebody would package 5.1.6 but as Tobias
> had pointed out, it was an unstable branch.
>
> See #704141 for the discussion.
>
> Now 5.2 has been released by upstream, see
> http://liballeg.org/download.html as well as the detailed changelog .
>
> http://liballeg.org/changes-5.2.html
>
> I do see that there are changes from both stable as well as unstable
> branch added in the repo as well as that the library is
> source-compatible but not binary compatible which probably means it
> will need to conflict with liballegro5.0 binary package.

If it's only binary incompatible, then a standard library transition
should work here. There shouldn't be any need for conflicting packages.

> I ran both apt-cache rdepends liballegro5.0 as well apt-rdepends
> liballegro5.0 but didn't see any games or anything which depends
> which will hurt if the new library is added before debian freeze.

Ok. There doesn't seem to be any reverse dependencies of allegro5 at
all.

> I also did a mock purge to see if there were any libraries which were
> affected and the only one which seems to be affected is libdumb1-dev
> .
> I am guessing the only reason why this version is not being shipped
> is
> due to the dumb library allegro 4 support issue, see #799008 as well
> as the relevant issue in libdumb's new upstream
> https://github.com/kode54/dumb/issues/21

libdumb is built against allegro4. How will upgrading allegro5 from 5.0
to 5.2 have any effect here?

> Is this a correct assessment of the situation. Is there a possibility
> of having liballegro5.2 and the relevant libdumb version have it in
> experimental so people who want to try some games with the new
> version
>  can try it ?  See
> http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6477 for discussion
> of a game which uses the newer version of a library.

I don't see why allegro 5.2 can't be uploaded at some point. What do
you need libdumb for? The thread doesn't mention anything about it.

James