Re: Fwd: Re: [the3dfxdude/7kaa] Please use standard libuuid (#68)

On 15.09.2016 20:59, Bertrand Marc wrote:
> Dear Games team,
>
> Upstream included a modified version of libuuid in 7kaa (renaming the default type in every function). I asked (on this thread [1]) to let us use standard libuuid somehow.
> You can read upstream's answer below.
>
> What do you think about this ? Should we include this third party code, or should we try to remove it using our patches ?

The general answer is that it is better to make everything work with
Debian's system libraries. Of course there are exceptions. If I replaced
the embedded code copies in spring or megaglest, then both games would
become unusable in multi-player mode because the clients would fail to
synchronize on different platforms. If 7kaa faced a similar fate, I
would keep the embedded libuuid library. But depending on how much work
is required to replace the lib, it might be worth the effort. You should
also take the maintainability of your patch into account when making
that decision though.

Regards,

Markus