Re: About your minetest-mod-* packages

Hi,

>my kids play minetest, and I found the packages were quite old... since
>
>you don't seem interested in updating them, would you mind if I take
>over maintainership?

Why is it you think I am not interested? How can you possibly tell that without asking?

Besides, did you look closely enough to find out that the packages are not maintained by me, but by the Debian Games team?

As to why the packages are not updated: For some years now, Minetest has had its own mod install system. This clashes with the system-wide mod installations.

There are two ways to go:

1. Disable the homebrew mod installer in minetest and maintain seperate packages. This would be the best solution from a Debian pov, but I do not think it would do Minetest and open source gaming as a whole any good - mainly because a lot of mod devs should not have touched or released code in the first place, are stupid idiots with absolutely no interest in fixing license or other tiny issues and just do everything to be the worst upstream they can be. Thus, many mods cannot be packaged or will be bad, and people will point fingers.

2. Remove the legacy mod packages from Debian and just use the homebrew mod installer.

I strongly prefer 1., but do not think it is feasable.

What does the Games team think?

-nik
--
PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17 FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296

Dominik George · Mobil: +49-151-61623918

Teckids e.V. · FrOSCon e.V. · OpenRheinRuhr e.V.
Fellowship of the FSFE · Piratenpartei Deutschland
Opencaching Deutschland e.V. · Debian Contributor

LPIC-3 Linux Enterprise Professional (Security)