Re: Distro-agnostic advice for Godot Engine packaging (related to ITP #793057)

> On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 11:45 +0100, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
>
>> - a desktop file and a game icon, either from upstream if provided, or
>> self-made, you know the drill :)
>
> Are the desktop file and icons usually provided by upstream?
>
> Or is there a generic file that a godot export will convert to the
> relevant menu files for each different platform?

It depends on each upstream developer, like for most other non-Godot
games. However since Godot was not widely packaged in Linux distros so
far, I guess most upstream developers did not write desktop files
themselves.

For the icons, Godot creates an icon.png image by default when
initializing a project, and usually game developers remember to update
it as it shows up in Godot's project manager, so I think we can expect
all games to have at least a PNG icon.

There is no engine facility to generate desktop files currently, but
I'm not sure either if it would be very useful. Desktop files are
typically useful mostly for Linux packagers, as for end users it's
difficult to define before-hand the location of the executable and of
the icon; unless the distributor provides some make install
instructions that put stuff in /usr/local or /opt, but I'm not so fond
of those personally.

But all in all there are not tons of libre games using Godot yet
(though nothing to be shy of with regard to the number of nonfree
games, at least among those that I know of), so proposing patches/pull
requests upstream to add desktop files should be relatively
straightforward.

> AppStream info would be nice too.

Indeed.

Rémi