Re: Distro-agnostic advice for Godot Engine packaging (related to ITP #793057)

On Sun, 2016-02-28 at 17:03 +0100, Rémi Verschelde wrote:

> That won't happen, as upstream has good reasons for using Scons in the
> first place: http://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/reference/introduction_to_the_buildsystem.html#scons

Interesting, thanks for the link. Personally I've always found SCons a
nightmare from a Linux distro point of view, mainly because every
project has to manually re-implement `make install` and other things.
I completely understand Godot's reasons for using it though.

> Godot 2.0 does, hence the major version bump. There are not so many
> Godot games available so far so it has not been a major concern up to
> now, but ensure compatibility with older games is something we always
> try to keep in mind (and it's all the more relevant for Linux
> distributions, as they won't want to package several concurrent Godot
> versions if some games happen not to work anymore with e.g. Godot
> 3.0).

I think it would be reasonable for Debian to have multiple major
versions of Godot while older games are still using older versions,
as we do for Python or GCC.

> Yes, I've actually just fixed it:
> https://github.com/godotengine/godot/commit/eb5f9ed89be7be2ba147cb95ee74516ce4862d01

I noticed that modifies a lot of different icons, I'm surprised you
don't create those at build time from the source SVG using Inkscape or
rsvg or similar.

> Debian could package Godot (the editor) without the templates, plus
> the runner I suggested (that would stay Debian-specific like any other
> binary), and let users download the official export templates from the
> website indeed.

I think that is the right way to go, maybe along with a downloader
package in contrib to securely download the templates.

I didn't fully understand what "templates" are though, can you provide
a link to some of them so I can inspect the content?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise