Re: Distro-agnostic advice for Godot Engine packaging (related to ITP #793057)

On Mon, 2016-02-29 at 07:28 +0100, Rémi Verschelde wrote:

> Creating the PNG files at build time would likely be more hassle than
> it would bring improvements: Godot can be compiled from GNU/Linux,
> *BSD, Mac OSX and Windows, and we can't expect for example Windows
> users to have Inkscape or librsvg in their $PATH (it's difficult
> enough for them to have Scons in the $PATH :)).

You could expect people building on Linux/BSD to have an easily
installable SVG renderer though and could do it for those platforms.

> Export templates are what make Godot awesome from a game developer
> point of view, and awful from a packager's :)

Heh, thanks for the info :)

> I am however starting to consider not providing the templates at all
> as part of my package

I think that is the way to go. It would be awesome to be able to cross-
compile them from a distro but SDKs for many platforms aren't gratis or
libre so that isn't really feasible, but the Android SDK is in Debian!

> Note that the "godot-runner" binary I described earlier is actually
> the release build of the X11 template for the current arch (but
> without statically linking libstdc++ as it's not meant to be used
> outside the distro that packages it).

I see, I think that is what we would want for Debian users.

> use the exact same binary to be run, so the "export" step can be
> bypassed if the template is already in the $PATH and the `-path
> path/to/game/project/files' argument is used (this is how I intend to
> package libre games for Mageia).

Do any games have build processes for their data? Rendering SVGs etc

> [0] http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/godotengine/Godot_v2.0_stable_20160223_export_templates.tpz

So it is a zip file with a weird name that contains Windows .exe files,
statically linked Linux ELF files for only two architectures, Android
apps (debug and release), an iOS app, a MacOSX app and some compiled
JavaScript (debug and release). Interesting approach and I can see that
it is useful for game developers.

--
bye,
pabs