Re: steamcmd on arm

Le samedi 16 janvier 2016 20:36:44, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:58:19 +0000, Alexandre Detiste
> <alexandre.detiste@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Follow-up to myself about:
> >
> > http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/215864/running-x86-binaries-on-armv7
> >
> > Running steamcmd:i386 on ARM with qemu-user-static gives a segfault,
> > but qemu-user works ! \o/
>
> Does it work with binfmt-support?

Yes, with binfmt-support.

There's some logic in ~/.steam/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh that
involves "MAGIC_RESTART_EXITCODE=42";
it only segfault at the restart step.

> > Where should this be properly documented ?
>
> README.Debian would seem to be the natural place for this. Admittedly since
> none of this is package-specific it shouldn't really go there either, but
> it's unrealistic to expect all our users to know how to do this.

GDP needs a detailed manual that explain possible use cases,
with some screenshots.

> What's the use-case for this?

Linus said 2016 is the year of the arm laptop ;-)

> People running games on small ARM boards hooked
> up to a TV?

Indeed; there are many of these little things around,
sometimes it's the only thing in a household running Linux.

I've read some 10-steps guides on instructables.com that tell users to
- run GOG's setup.exe on their windows PC;
- then go in c:/Program Files/;
- then copy some files on a usb stick,
- then mount it on a RaspberryPi,
- then set up a shell script that call ScummVM...

That's a lot of tedious work than can be automated by either calling
lgogdownloader or steamcdm:i386 in-host, these machines
have much enough power to handle that by themselves.

> > I understand a call to "dpkg --add-architecure" must always
> > be done manually by the administrator; this isn't something
> > that can be done from an other package post-inst.
>
> Yes; but the main issue is technical, you can't run dpkg like that from a
> package's maintainer scripts.

Maybe as a commented script in
/usr/share/doc/game-data-packager/<...example...> ?

>> [stackexchange.com/questions/215864]
>> (I'm not sure this will work with Raspbian though)

I was curious,

I tried adding Debian's i386 .deb s to RaspBian this way:

 deb [ arch=armhf ] http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi
 deb [ arch=i386 ] http://httpredir.debian.org/debian testing main

+

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 99

But that didn't worked out because the libc is a bit patched to make it work on ARMv6
and there's a  "+rp1" version suffix appended.

  "Breaks: libgcc1 (!= 1:5.3.1-5) but 1:5.3.1-5+rpi1 will be installed"

A clean bootstrap in a chroot would work, but that's getting complicated;
that could also fill a small SD card & GDP would have to be
made to look into this chroot to read downloaded files.

An official Debian on an ARMv7 device (like the Raspberry 2) would work;
maybe on could also stomp it's RaspBian with Debian in-place.
But what about the kernel support ? python3-gpio ?
It becomes easier again to create the .deb on a desktop PC
and push them with scp.

Regards,

Alexandre