Re: steamcmd on arm

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 16:58:19 +0000, Alexandre Detiste
<alexandre.detiste@gmail.com> wrote:
> Follow-up to myself about:
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/215864/running-x86-binaries-on-armv7
>
> Running steamcmd:i386 on ARM with qemu-user-static gives a segfault,
> but qemu-user works ! \o/

Does it work with binfmt-support?

> If there's an other computer running Steam on the LAN;
> the data seams to be copied from there ultra-fast.
>
> Where should this be properly documented ?
>
> Maybe in some of in steamcmd's man page;
> but then all i386-only packages could be documented this way;
> & man-page are normally about using software; not installing it.

README.Debian would seem to be the natural place for this. Admittedly since
none of this is package-specific it shouldn't really go there either, but
it's unrealistic to expect all our users to know how to do this.

What's the use-case for this? People running games on small ARM boards hooked
up to a TV?

> I understand a call to "dpkg --add-architecure" must always
> be done manually by the administrator; this isn't something
> that can be done from an other package post-inst.

Yes; but the main issue is technical, you can't run dpkg like that from a
package's maintainer scripts.

Regards,

Stephen