Re: New libode version

El Dilluns, 14 de setembre de 2015, a les 14:23:45, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
va escriure:
> El Dijous, 10 de setembre de 2015, a les 12:35:55, Simon McVittie va
escriure:
> > On 10/09/15 12:25, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > > That bug made a reference about that, in lower hardware (32 bits) ode is
> > > too slow.
> >
> > That's not how it works. On a few less-powerful CPUs (in particular
> > older generations of 32-bit ARM, or other platforms lacking hardware
> > floating-point units), float is significantly faster than double. On
> > mainstream CPUs with a FPU (such as i386), there's little difference.
> >
> > > That means
> > > that with 32 bit platforms, if we use floats (4 bytes = 32 bits), every
> > > operation is done with one cpu step (?), but if we uses doubles (8 bytes
> > > =
> > > 64 bits), every operation needs two, so it becomes slooow.
> >
> > i386 can do double-precision floating-point operations perfectly well.
> > The fact that it only has a 32-bit address space is not relevant.
>
> Well,
>
> reviewing my old studies and investigating a bit further about this topic I
> must admit that Steve are right. On moderns 32 bits CPU platforms, with FPU,
> this kind on double calculations are done by the math coprocessor and, in
> general it has 64 bits register to operate. However, after, I think that
> some kind of penalty must be occurs.
>
> > > I think that we can have the same package in debian, but with the
> > > platforms
> > > with 32 bits using single precision and with 64 double. With this
> > > solution
> > > I think that all the needs would be covered. It's more simple to
> > > maintain
> > > and we don't have duplication of packages.
> >
> > You could consider using float on armel and maybe mips(el), and double
> > on everything else... but it's certainly unnecessary to restrict
> > yourself to single-precision floating point on i386 or armhf, for
> > instance. Those architectures are 32-bit but are guaranteed[1] to have
> > hardware floating-point.
>
> To me it's ok then. If nobody has any mention about the contrary I follow
> the Steve advice and put armel and mips(el) as single precision and the
> others double.
>
> All the changes are done in git. Now the packages has a copyright file
> updated. Lintian is error clean and it shows minors warnings.
>
> Please, someone could review it and upload if it's ok?

Hi,

two weeks ago I sent this message to the list to review and/or upload this
package. Working in a Maintenance team had the advantage that the team helps
you, specially to the people that are not DD to upload and/or maintain.

Please, someone could review it and upload if it's ok?

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia