Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

Vincent Lejeune dijo [Fri, May 01, 2015 at 06:40:01PM +0200]:
> Thanks for your answer, it's interesting.
> I initially asked a native american feminist about these issues on twitter,
> she told me that the poster was mixing random cultural element together,
> I interpreted that as offensive. But now I may have been wrong in how
> important it is. If I understand correctly your point, it's not offending.
> I apologize for the inconvenience on this point then.

First of all, I am just one person, and my impression is only mine. I
*do* think I have some sensibility to the issues at hand, though, and
that's why I took part in this thread.

> Actually she was much more concerned with the sexism of the game and the
> bikini top in the poster. In USA Native American women are more likely to be
> raped or sexually assaulted[1] and native blogs often points the
> fetishization of native american women
> in ads and media as a possible explanation.
> But maybe I am too cautious there, it remains to be determined if the
> poster is somehow fetishizing.

I would say the poster is as offensive to native American cultures as
Dreamworks' "How to train your dragon" is offensive to Scandinavian
societies, or as "Astérix" is to French people (not even as offensive
as Astérix is to Italians, of course, which can be more aggressive,
portraying them as descendants of stupid Romans).

And anyway, the poster (as game posters often do) does not portray the
gameplay, so I'd consider it completely nonsubstantial to the issue at
hand.

> As I'm not native and not woman I appreciate havinv several opinions
> on this matter.

I'm also not from my country's native population. My friends liken me
more to a person that would be angry at "How to train your dragon"
earlier than at "Apocalypto", based on my name, aspect and even
familiar history... But I do think I have something to say anyway ;-)