Re: Concern about racism and sexism in Supertuxkart 0.9

Steve Langasek escrebeu:

> The phrase "male gaze" refers to content rendered from the *point of view*
> of the (implicitly heterosexual) male. So images of women instead of men is
> consistent with this idea, on the grounds that men would rather look at
> ("sexy") images of women than at images of men.

That is a very common mistake, as the comparison of sports and porn
economy quickly shows. Semi-naked men (sports) are way more desired
for those "implicitly heterosexuals" than sexy women (porn) -so much
as the order of 400$ Billion compared to 10$ Billion respectively.

Though misleading, the statement is helpful to understand why such a
sexualized character has been included in that game. The rationale does
not rely in the functional needs of the game's story-line. Instead, it
relies on the assumption of those "implicitly heterosexual" developers
that their sexist (this is, sex based) approach to that phenomenon
called 'women' resonates well with society. As a natural follow up, they
understood that featuring a Hentai-alike adolescent might be effective
to attract end users, while being fun at the same time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

In any case I agree with the others that we should have a view of that
sexualized adolescent in the game. I seriously doubt that only the
posters have motivated Vincent to involve deb-women in this issue.