Re: Megaglest 3.9.1

FTR: Giuseppe asked me to remove him from Uploaders via private e-mail.

On 16.09.2014 09:18, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>
>> However I don't understand the sentence about "possible LGPL violations"
>> and would appreciate some clarification.
>
> If you had done a comparison between the code in Debian and the new
> upstream (which should happen for each new upstream release uploaded
> to Debian), you would see that upstream stripped copyright and license
> information from one of the embedded code copies (streflop), which
> seems like a license violation to me.

I did a complete copyright review as I do for every new package I become
an uploader. You can find the new file in the SVN repository.  I'm not
finished yet but it appears there are no significant differences between
streflop 3.7.1 and 3.9.1. I also compared those files with the ones for
the Spring engine, which also embeds streflop for the same reasons, and
I spotted no major differences on first glance. There is also a LGPL.txt
and README.txt file which explain the licensing thus I see no obvious
LGPL violations here.

So I assume that almost all code is licensed under LGPL-2.1+ and a
permissive license from Sun Microsystems.

> I'm not sure if upstream has
> fixed this issue yet. Also Mark (upstream) lost faith in the Debian
> packaging processes and has abandoned the package. I simply have too
> many other things to do so I'm glad to see someone else taking an
> interest in MegaGlest.

I'm sad to hear that. I'm willing to fix outstanding issues but I need
to know what specific files are affected and what needs to be done to
fix them.

Regards,

Markus