Re: Setting rules for source requirements on artwork in games

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM,  <beuc@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:44:35PM +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 07:38:10AM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>> > Should the team be polled, perhaps, to see what consensus is, or are we
>> > relying on rough consensus based on participation in this mailing list
>> > thread (in which case, we should be careful about subjects)
>>
>> My mail was intended to be such a poll.  I agree about the subject; I've
>> changed it.
>
> Do we have a wiki page that summarizes the review of Red Eclipse?
> (if that's what we are being polled :])
> I have troubles following all the threads.

Agreed, a wiki page would be nice; I'm having a hard time following
the discussion myself as well.

In any case, I believe that we have to look at individual games to
analyze its DFSG freeness (or lack thereof), and that also happens to
be the status quo (i.e. the burden of determining whether a game is
DFSG-free currently falls on the uploader and ftpmasters). Making a
blanket statement that covers all games currently maintained within
the Games team, as well as any future games that may become packaged
in Debian, and that everyone can fully agree with, is going to be
extremely difficult. If there's any doubt on whether a game is or is
not DFSG-free, or if someone disagrees with the uploader's/ftpmasters'
analysis, then we as a team can still review the package after the
fact like we're doing now with redeclipse, so I don't see any pressing
need for any blanket statement.

Regards,
Vincent