Re: Unteralterbach (was: Re: clarify FTP master delegation?)

W dniu 12.03.2014 22:17, Vincent Cheng pisze:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> I don't believe Debian is the right place or mechanism to pick this fight. I
>> think it would be a huge distraction from the point of the project, for
>> basically exactly the reasons spelled out here:
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2014/03/msg00056.html
>>
>> and we should pass on this particular package.
>>
>> I think it would be great to have other packages of the same software type but
>> with different content in Debian.  Just not this particular content profile,
>> which should be handled by people who know what they're getting into, can
>> focus on this specific type of collision between free speech and other social
>> issues, and don't have other goals that would be put at risk by getting into
>> the middle of this fight.
>>
>> The above is written very carefully to try to avoid expressing any opinion
>> about the merits of the content itself.  Please don't try to read an opinion
>> on that into the above.
>
> Agreed. Yet again I'm left to admire at how eloquently Russ can turn his
> thoughts into words. :)
>
> I started contributing to Debian because of its technical excellence and its
> adherence to FOSS principles, and I think that's what we're best known for. I
> strongly do not think that Debian is an appropriate platform for advocating for
> social, moral, or ethical values, nor do I think that Debian is the right place
> to making a statement on controversies relating to the above issues.

The main benefit of the game when it comes to including it in Debian is probably
its alleged artistic value. (I did not personally play the game so I cannot judge it).

The Proponent for including in the Debian described this artistic value as:

W dniu 12.03.2014 02:33, Nils Dagsson Moskopp pisze:
> A major point of the game is that whatever choice you make, the protagonist is
> neither a hero nor a sympathetic character. I think you can play the whole game
> without triggering any sex scene and the player character is still a xenophobic
> socially awkward self-centered asshole.
>
> The protagonist is only a hero if you actively choose to ignore all the obvious
> signs of his descent into madness, the most obvious one being the thought that
> the demons are out to get him, the *only* sane person.
>
> Regardless of the outcome of this discussion, I find it quite annoying that
> people seem to long for a sympathetic protagonist and get mad when a game
> provides something that unsettles them. It seems there is a wide range of
> game-space that cannot ever be explored if people insist that games must be
> shallow and fun to be ever allowed.

I do not think that the game is actively advocating for some "social, moral or
ethical values". It explores a topic that is contentious and not often talked about
(a taboo). Some extreme free speech advocates hold that child porn should not be
banned and the game may help their cause, but that's all.

There were some claims that it may deter some people from abusing children and also
some claims that it may actually encourage them to do it.
However, it is unclear which way it will work and we will probably never be able to
figure out this due to the scarcity of available research.

Greetings,
Mateusz Jończyk