Unteralterbach (was: Re: clarify FTP master delegation?)

(Crossposting to debian-devel-games, where most of the discussion is
being held about this)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:

>>> I don't know why gmane doesn't show it.
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2014/03/
>
>> This summarizes it:
>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2014/03/msg00024.html
>
> I don't believe Debian is the right place or mechanism to pick this fight.
> I think it would be a huge distraction from the point of the project, for
> basically exactly the reasons spelled out here:
>
>     https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2014/03/msg00056.html
>
> and we should pass on this particular package.
>
> I think it would be great to have other packages of the same software type
> but with different content in Debian.  Just not this particular content
> profile, which should be handled by people who know what they're getting
> into, can focus on this specific type of collision between free speech and
> other social issues, and don't have other goals that would be put at risk
> by getting into the middle of this fight.
>
> The above is written very carefully to try to avoid expressing any opinion
> about the merits of the content itself.  Please don't try to read an
> opinion on that into the above.

Agreed. Yet again I'm left to admire at how eloquently Russ can turn
his thoughts into words. :)

I started contributing to Debian because of its technical excellence
and its adherence to FOSS principles, and I think that's what we're
best known for. I strongly do not think that Debian is an appropriate
platform for advocating for social, moral, or ethical values, nor do I
think that Debian is the right place to making a statement on
controversies relating to the above issues.

Regards,
Vincent