Re: Unteralterbach

W dniu 12.03.2014 19:32, Nils Dagsson Moskopp pisze:
> I would like to split the the game content into several packages:
>
> - unteralterbach             - game code and story text - unteralterbach-music
> - music and soundtrack - unteralterbach-data-nosex  - graphics and sound for
> non-sex scenes - unteralterbach-data-sex    - graphics and sound for sex scenes
>
> I would then ask upstream to host the unteralterbach-data-sex package and make
> unteralterbach depend on unteralterbach-data-nosex, recommend
> unteralterbach-music and suggest unteralterbach-data-sex.
>
> For a similar split, see fortunes and openarena packaging – currently, both
> fortunes-es and fortunes-es-off exist in Debian, similarly there are
> openarena-081-players and openarena-081-players-mature.
>
> The description of the unteralterbach package would explain that due to legal
> circumstances in several jurisdictions Debian does not distribute the
> unteralterbach-data-sex package and tell the user to get additional content from
> upstream if (and only if) they are sure that posession of images of fictional
> sexual abuse is legal in their jurisdiction.
No, Debian should not in distribute the illegal scenes at all neither suggest them.
That would make the distribution much more risky.

> Depending on how hard it is to split the non-abuse sex scenes out of the
> upstream acrhive and on Debian's stance on sexual content in general, one could
> also include the adult sex scenes in the data package hosted by Debian (which
> obviously could not have the “-nosex” suffix then).

Yes, the split would be probably welcome.
> For prior art, see the package description of libdvdread4, which says:
>
>> libdvdread probes for libdvdcss at runtime and if found, will use it to
>> decrypt sections of the DVD as necessary. libdvdcss needs to be installed from
>> third-party repositories (see README.css), it's not included in Debian.
>
> OpenTTD says something similar about non-distributable game data:
>
>> OpenTTD is playable with the free graphics files from the openttd-opengfx
>> package and optional sound files from the openttd-opensfx package (which is in
>> non-free). Alternatively, OpenTTD can use the graphics files from the original
>> Transport Tycoon Deluxe game (See README.Debian on how to set this up).
>
> I think it would be very important to point out the differences between upstream
> content at <http://unteralterbach.net> and the Debian package to prevent
> overeager actors from assuming the package contains illegal content – as the
> discussion has shown, people are unlikely to evaluate the game properly before
> condemning it.

Even somebody casually looking at the game could think that it is much, much worse
than it probably is in reality (and even with all adult/non-adult sex images removed).
A good example could be a post in this thread
(https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2014/03/msg00087.html) by a serious
Debian Developer.
If this will go out, somebody will find that package, try it out and get shocked.
He/She will then contact some journalist who will publish it.

>>> I wrote that.  However, I was corrected:
>>> http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/biblio/articles/1961to1999/1999-effects-of-pornography.html

While not specifically about child abuse, it shows that if (regular)
>>> porn is more easily available, there is a lower rate of sexual crimes such
>>> as rape.
>>>
>>> From this we cannot conclude that having such games would lower the rate of
>>> child abuse, but it is certainly possible.  It is very unlikely that it will
>>> increase it.
>> I haven't read that paper to determine how they built their data from what
>> sample sets they used but I'd like to know if the experiment has been
>> repeated elsewhere and what the results were for those trials.  Results may
>> be completely different in different parts of the world or using different
>> samples in the same parts of the world.
>
> I suggest you read the paper – it does indeed try to compare different cultures
> and jurisdictions and references a lot of other literature.
In my mail (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2014/03/msg00094.html)
I have quoted a different paper [5] that is concerned specifically with child porn
and has a different conclusion:

"Findings from this study indicate that exposure to virtual child pornography,
in the form of barely legal sexually explicit depictions, did result in a cognitive
effect. Exposure to sexually explicit depictions featuring underage-looking models
results in viewers being more likely to associate sex and sexuality to subsequent
nonsexual depictions of minors.

[...]

The first step in any intentional behavior, however, may be a cognitive consider-
ation of performing that behavior. Therefore, exposure to any stimuli that makes the
consideration of a particular behavior more likely to occur also seems likely to
increase the probability that an individual will participate in that behavior. Thus,
while it does not seem reasonable to claim, based on the totality of the current
results, that the government’s claims of effects relating to exposure to virtual
child pornography are valid, the support found for Hypotheses 1 and 2 suggest that it
would also be inappropriate to reject these claims outright."

[5]
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/sites/www.comm.ucsb.edu/files/sitefiles/people/faculty/linzd/virtual_child_porno.pdf

- --
Pozdrawiam,
Mateusz Jończyk
AEI, Informatyka, Semestr 2 Magisterskich, BDiIS