Re: cube2 and cube2-data ready for tests

On 27/02/14 23:06, Markus Koschany wrote:
> I worked on the sauerbraten package, removed everything specific to
> the sauerbraten game like icons, menu or desktop files and renamed
> it to cube2. It is now very similar to redeclipse or the ioquake3
> package.

Great work!

If you haven't already, it might be worth talking to its upstream
about what they would like "the engine shared by Sauerbraten,
Bananabread etc." to be referred to as (i.e. the equivalent of
ioquake3 in this system of packages, what you're calling cube2 at the
moment). If its upstream consider "Cube 2" to be an alternate name or
subtitle or something for Sauerbraten, and do not have a separate name
for the engine, it might be worth calling its Debian package something
like cube2-engine to emphasize "this is not the game, just the engine"
and avoid potential upstream annoyance if they feel that it has been
misrepresented.

It's somewhat easier in the world of Doom- and Quake-series source
ports, because the name of the original proprietary game clearly
goes with the proprietary data-set and the original GPL'd engine
code-drop by id, whereas the engines we ship are all forks of the
original engine, with their own upstream identity and hence their own
names (e.g. yamagi-quake2 is "Yamagi's Quake 2" and ioquake3 started off
as "icculus.org Quake 3").

> The new source package consists of
>
> - the wake6 map - core textures and icons from the Bananabread
> game

Is Bananabread a Free content package analogous to Freedoom,
OpenQuartz, OpenArena?

> 2. Update cube2-data and include all game data from Bananabread
> into cube2-data. On first glance it still wouldn't be the same as
> sauerbraten but we got one model, sounds, more free maps and
> textures. Round about 200 MB extra files.

It depends whether you think cube2-data is a demo/tutorial/blob of
miscellaneous data, or a playable game. It sounds to me as though
cube2-data is a demo/tutorial, but Bananabread is a game?

> 3. Create a separate bananabread source package in addition to
> cube2-data.

If Bananabread is (or aims to be) a full game, I'd go for this one,
and include .desktop/.menu/etc. in bananabread (and separately in
cube2-data, if you think cube2-data is sufficiently
non-developer-useful to appear in menus as its own game at all).

> I think upgrading sauerbraten-wake6 to the cube2-data demo package
> is the quickest way to get the cube2 engine into main.

Based on the precedent of quakespasm, the line currently drawn by the
ftpmasters is that the cube2 engine can go in main without Free data
also being in main, as long as usable Free data *exists*. (For
quakespasm, that Free data is OpenQuartz; for this engine, it sounds
as though it's Bananabread and wake6.)