Re: Steam for Linux? No thanks.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:08:21 Michael Gilbert wrote:
> How then do we justify telling people what they can or cannot do with
> their own time?  How exactly do we justify that kind of imposition on
> their personal freedom and their ability to self-actualize?

What's wrong with respectfully bringing concerns about the issues to the
attention (and discussion) if there are reasons to believe that somebody may
not be aware of implications?

When you see a person littering on train you may conveniently say nothing and
let him/her "self-actualize" or you may say "please don't do it, it's not
nice". After all it's just telling -- it's up to them whenever to ignore or to
listen. This is not an attack on their freedoms.

Dilemma of not telling wrongdoers about their wrongdoings because it may hurt
their feelings do not exist for me.

Imagine you met a hypothetical smoker who is genuinely unaware about harms of
smoking -- would you feel obliged to hide the issue from such person? Would it
be ethical not to inform?

If I'm doing something wrong I'd like to know about it even if it feels
uncomfortable.

Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov
 GPG key : 4096R/53968D1B