Re: ogre-1.8: incomplete debian/copyright

Hi,

2012/10/11 Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org>:
> Package: ogre-1.8
> Severity: serious
> Version: 1.7.4-5
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:32:45PM +0100, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need permissions to upload from now on the packages from this team
>> that I maintain since several years ago (ogre and ogre-1.8)
>> If somebody could do this, I would be thankful.
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
> You ask to renew your upload permissions, but debian/copyright in ogre-1.8 is
> not complete, see for example "Copyright 1998-2002 by Neil Hodgson" in
> Tools/MaterialEditor/wxscintilla_1.69.2/src/scintilla/src/LexPython.cxx.

I find the "You ask... but" a bit contradictory, I need permissions to
upload the package if I am going to be able to fix the problems.  For
me it's OK if somebody wants to help me or even take over completely,
but in fact nobody else bothered to maintain OGRE for more than 3
years, despite being under debian-games-team umbrella.

And actually, since I maintain the package (2010), never in the past
someone from debian-devel-games@ sponsored my uploads even if I asked
for it several times, and I had to find sponsors elsewhere, which
makes the task of keeping it well maintained more difficult and
burdensome.

About the licensing and non-DFSG compliant materials/fonts (that I'm
trying to fix with my recent uploads to mentors, but didn't discover
the ones that you mention by the time that I created the files), they
are in part because of lack of tracking by upstream and misleading
assertions by them.  But I already made them to switch the license of
the documentation from CC-2.5 (not DFSG-compliant) to CC-3; and
currently me and other people (e.g. from Fedora) are pressing upstream
to disentangle GLEW and tinyxml, or to use free fonts, etc:

http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/view.php?id=494

http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/view.php?id=495

http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/view.php?id=496
http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/view.php?id=546

So, overall, I think that it's been more positive for OGRE in Debian
that I take care of the package than if I don't, because maybe nobody
else does (as it was the case when I started maintaining it).

BTW, I would appreciate if somebody would sponsor my packages, fixing
some RC-bugs (I will take care of the copyright ones that Bart
reported soon, but my uplink at the moment doesn't permit uploading
such big packages again for a few days):

https://mentors.debian.net/package/ogre
https://mentors.debian.net/package/ogre-1.8

Cheers.
--