Re: Debian Games Team Screnshotting Party

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 11:28 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> (...)
> Sounds good! I was sort of planning to be there, but I just returned
> from a school trip (I'm a teacher) and I slept through the entire party.
>
> > Link to some web service that uses GeoIP to find the right timezone
> > and convert from UTC. Or write a MoinMoin plugin for wiki.debian.org
> > to do this for us. I note that the <<DateTime(timestamp)>> macro
> > already allows formatting the time in the local timezone for the
> > logged-in user.
>
> I would expect this to be fixable with less effort than using such
> workarounds. I mean, the reason we want dudle is that it is free
> software... I just pulled the source in, but it's in ruby, which I can
> read, but not write (meaning this is the first time I see anything in
> Ruby). If nobody else steps up, I might try to write a patch for it
> anyway though. Can't be too hard.

A few other things regarding dudle that I noticed in this process was:
1. Seemed to be no good way to close a poll, other than deleting it
2. Comments can be deleted by anyone, it seems, my UTC-hint was

I also looked into STUdS[0]/OpenSondage[1] and I decided in a minor
favor of dudle:
+ dudle has a nicer time-selection for admins
+ dudle has links which defaults to english
+ dudle allows setting a custom link name "*/dgt_screenshots_party/"
+ dudle has a "maybe" option

whereas the benefits of studs:
+ studs only allows admins to edit comments
+ studs fork OpenSondage is in git[2]

studs looks to my eye to be implemented mainly in PHP, so if anyone
would want to dig in, that's a factor as well.

Pleft[3] is also worth mentioning, implemented in Python, is AGPL, and
in git. But the fact that pleft does not currently have any possibility
to have "open" polls where anyone can participate disqualifies it for
our meetings (unless one would go roundabout and create 50 participants
and paste all the single-use links on the wiki or so).

[0] http://studs.u-strasbg.fr/index.php
[1] http://framadate.org
[2] https://github.com/leblanc-simon/OpenSondage + a bunch of forks
[3] https://github.com/sander/pleft