Re: quality assurance for games

Hi,

more than a month ago i tried to start a discussion about quality
assurance for games which miserably failed. [1] The response wasn't
really overwhelming but at least Tobias supported the idea. Here is a
short summary.

I started another try at debian-qa [2] and the outcome was, "don't
gather much feedback, just file the RM bugs if you are convinced it is
the right thing". Another idea to remove orphaned games/packages after
two years automatically became quickly controversial.

All in all i have come to the following conclusion: I will ask for the
removal of the games myself after wheezy has been released but i will
also be considerate of people who have already made a qa effort, so
xbomb is most likely going to stay around for further years to come. ;)
The rest is up to the ftp-masters anyway.

I think the second part about incorporating orphaned games into the
games team could work the same way. Either file a RM bug, fix the game
yourself or much better ask for support on this list or at #debian-games
and let's fix it together. Of course there are times when people can
spend more or less time on packages but a lot of these games are quite
small and manageable and therefore good candidates if you don't want to
invest too much time but still want to help out. I think there is no
general rule how you can approach this, but maybe it already helps to
mention some old packages and bring them up for discussion.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-games/2012/10/msg00062.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2012/11/msg00085.html