review of njam-1.25-6

Hi Daniel,

as i've promised on IRC, here is a review of your package
njam-1.25-6. I can't sponsor it myself, but hopefully the
review saves some time for a future sponsor.

I'd be glad if you maintained the package within the games team.  I
I think all these orphaned games are better of here and most of the
smaller games are quite easy to maintain. If you are interested i can
also offer some help as co-maintainer. Maybe it's also more fun and
easier maintaining njam together.

First of all, the package builds fine and is in a much better shape than
before. Thanks!

Here is my review:

* Njam hasn't been updated by upstream since 2005. The package was uploaded on 2009
  at sourceforge.net again but i can't see any changes in regard to
  Debian's source tarball. Therefore i think Debian is more or less
  upstream now and you can remove the following files completely from the
  source tarball because i see no need for them.

  autom4te.cache/output.0
  autom4te.cache/requests
  autom4te.cache/traces.0
  build-stamp
  configure-stamp
  njamicon.ico
  and the MacOSX directory

* debian/control:
  - It's sufficient to write debhelper (>=9) instead of (>=9.0.0)
  - It's actual Standards-Version 3.9.4, you can ignore the lintian warning.
  - you can safely remove automake and autotools from Build-Depends
  - add autotools_dev instead to provide an always up-to-date config.sub
    and config.guess. See also debian/rules.
  - there is one extra blank space before "It is" in the long
    description. ;)

* debian/rules:
  - you can/should add --parallel and --with autotools_dev to dh. Njam builds
    fine with these.
  - Pedantic: you could also break the lines after 79 characters
    making it easier to read the rules file on small terminals.

* copyright:
  - credit where credit is due, you should add yourself. :)
  - licensecheck -r reveals that src/SDL_main.c is in the public domain.

* manpage
  - must be njam.6 instead of njam.1 because it is a game.
  - the AUTHORS sections is deprecated. I would remove it because we
    mention the author already in copyright. see also man 7 manpages.
  - i would use the same description like in control before.
  - and i would replace the NAME section with the short description in
    control so that they match. This would eventually close #474716.
  - please remove the -d option because this has been already patched
    out. see drop_gda.diff

* njam.desktop:
  - desktop file mentions njamicon.png which doesn't exist but
    it works nonetheless. Maybe njamicon without extension is sufficient.

* njam.menu:
  - i would add a longtitle like "Njam - pacman-like game with
    multiplayer support"
  - if you adjust the icon path here installing njamicon.xpm in
    /usr/share/pixmaps would be enough. Thus you could also remove the
    clean file and njam.links.
  - hmm, does njam belongs to section Games/Board or better Games/Action?

* changelog:
 - better be more verbose about what you've fixed in njam.6 and that
   you've escaped some hyphens. "Fix some lintian warning" -> which warning?

* I think we can also fix bug #689119 and Andreas Beckmann has kindly
  provided hints how this can be achieved.

Optional/Pedantic:

* The package could be split in njam and njam-data which would save some
  disk space.
* You could register njam with doc-base and add the html documentation.
  At the moment the html docs are installed in
  /usr/share/games/njam/html but i think they are better off in
  /usr/share/doc/njam/hmtl.

That's it.

Regards,

Markus